This info has been
These are some of the ROM hacks or various rare and hard to find revisions I've come across around the net. It's VERY hard to find information on these ROMs so I've compiled this page for those that are interested. I don't know anything about these other than what is on these pages, so please don't email me asking about them. NOTE: Emails asking where to get the different MK ROMs (physical or software dumps) will be ignored. Here's a good place to start looking for the chips though...
Here is a very interesting FAQ, The Mortal Kombat 2 Glitch FAQ by Rat of rat.org. Rat.org seems to be dead now, which is to bad because it was a great source for MK releated stuff. There was even a huge section of spoofed MK pics like this one.
Here's some guides I made ages ago. They're not perfect, but they get the job done.
Mortal Kombat 1 version history:
* First release of Mortal Kombat
* In two player game, both players could not
choose the same player
* Liu Kang had Uppercut - Flying Kick Combo
* More blood added
* Both players could choose the same player
* New Shang Tsung death animation added
* Merchanside promo added
* Computer IA increased
* Reptile added
* Reptile clues added
* Sonya could fight Reptile;
Block allowed during fatality
* Goro's theme played during all of
Mortal Kombat 2 Version History:
* First version released to the public even though unfinished.
(Midway was pressured due to the release of Capcom's Super
Street Fighter II)
* Contained almost all moves and approximately 9 fatalities.
* Kintaro and Shao Kahn nearly impossible to defeat without cheating
(Kintaro could be beat by repeatedly pressing a punch button
throught the game. Shao Kahn only by throwing missile
* No ending stories.
* Baraka's blade fury has no sound.
* Shang Tsung could walk on the ceiling.
* Mileena's roll move added.
* Kung Lao's flying kick added.
* Sub-Zero could do the first part of Fatality #1 during the match.
* Danger indicator added.
* This version contained many but not all aspects of version
2.1. Since version 1.4 was not widely circulated, those
changes will be listed under version 2.1.
* First 'official' release version.
* Intro text slightly changed.
('Only seven warriors...hands of Liu Kang' was originally
'But seven warriors would not allow it.')
* Ending stories and credits added.
* Dan 'Toasty' Forden's face added.
* Computer intelligence increased.
* Almost all fatalities added.
* Friendships and babalities added.
* Pit 2/Tomb fatality added.
* Smoke and Jade were added.
* Kintaro and Shao Kahn were easier to defeat.
* Kintaro and Shao Kahn could be defeated by keeping them up in
the corner with repeated punches.
* Shang Tsung's repeated flaming skull move fixed.
* Reptile's slide added.
* Could crash the game through baby brutalization.
* Doing Shang Tsung's soul stealing fatality against Jax could
sometimes crash the game.
* More blood added.
(Example: Blood added when opponent is punched in the face;
Kung Lao's hat throw.)
* Dead Pool fatality added.
* Noob Saibot added.
* Raiden's uppercut fatality added.
* Kung Lao's friednship added.
* Computer intelligence increased.
* Computer can do missile weapons in mid air.
* Babality/Friendship problem fixed.
(Example: Multiple babalities, babality to friendship, baby
* Repeated punches in the corner fixed.
* Kitana's multiple fan lifts in the corner fixed.
* Sub-Zero's freeze - punch - freeze - punch...fixed.
* Scorpion's spear - uppercut - spear - uppercut...fixed.
* Pictures of the creators added after the credits.
* Revolution X and DCS ads added.
* Comic and CD offer shows picture of CD.